Anyone can become a leader–but to be an inspiring leader–you need powerful traits that count.
Article by Lolly Daskal, President and CEO, Lead From Within on Inc.com.
We often think that people are just born with natural great leadership skills. But of course that’s a myth–the truly inspirational leaders are the ones who are constantly working for self -development and self-improvement. It’s a learning process that is never-ending, and it comes with the understanding that it’s not about the destination but the journey of leadership that matters.
To be an inspirational business leader, set your motto to be “How can we raise each other up?” Then keep that focus throughout the day, with these principles to guide you.
1. People skills make a difference. As a leader, you may have technical skills that will get your foot in the door–but it will be your people skills that will open those doors. Many leaders are great at what they know. They are smart with information and brilliant when it comes to making decisions, but it’s hard to be inspiring unless you also have great interpersonal skills. The importance of solid people skills transcends industry and profession; so, whether you lead people, aspire to lead people, or work within a team of professionals, you need to apply people skills to achieve inspirational leadership
2. Credibility matters. It doesn’t matter what role or position you have; if you want to be an inspiring leader, you must begin by earning credibility. And earning credibility takes time, patience, and consistency. The root of the word “credibility” is “credo,” which means “I believe” in Latin. it means that people believe in you. when they believe in you. Put simply, credibility is the feeling of trust and respect that you inspire in others. As a leader, you establish credibility when you demonstrate honesty and integrity.
3. Authenticity is key. If you are looking to be an inspiring leader, it is important to be an authentic leader. Authentic leaders are ethical leaders. They’ve identified their ethical codes, and they never compromise on what they believe to be right and wrong. Authentic leaders are inspiring because they know who they are and they don’t let anyone keep them from making a decision that they know is right. They have integrity and a firm moral code, and they manage to stay sensible and stable even during the most difficult times.
4. Emotional intelligence rules.
5. Motivation inspires.
6. Positivity goes a long way.
Read more about these last three traits in the original article.
If you’re already in leadership, it’s not that big a leap to make yourself an inspiring presence in the life of your people. Get started now and see what happens!